This delicious gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free bread recipe was even a winner with my mum - who as much as she tries to resist, is totally nuts for bread (and just a little bit nuts full stop!).
There’s something about bread that usually sends people into a complete state of panic when it’s suggested that for whatever reason they cut it out of their diet. People are totally nuts for it. All too often patients of mine would say to me, “but if I can’t eat bread, what do I eat??!!”. At this point my inner hunter-gatherer would cry a little bit, then burst out with enthusiasm for all the delicious, whole-food, unrefined, nutrient-packed alternative meal options.
I do get it though - there is something about bread. The smell of a freshly baked loaf, the convenience of a couple of slices in the morning, the ease of grabbing a sandwich at lunch, and seriously – what do you dip into your dippy eggs? This is why, once having made the brave (and often life changing) decision to cut bread/gluten out of your life (wahoo - you go!!), it’s nice to still have options. So instead of getting into the nitty gritty of why gluten and modern wheat is soooo aggressive for our poor guts/body right now, I’m going to soften the blow by firstly introducing this yummy alternative (brace yourself though – there’s only so long I can hold back from delivering the hard truth!).
I feel everyone needs a good “bread” selection up their culinary sleeve – from a dense irish-wheaten-style loaf, to a lighter, fluffier, “sandwich bread” – it’s all about providing those healthy alternatives! So if you’re “nuts for bread”, here’s the first ‘bread’ recipe of many, ingeniously entitled “nut bread” … clearly I wasn’t feeling particularly inspired on the vocab front! I love this with slices of avocado and generous sprinkling of salt and pepper but it’s really great any which way!
"NUT BREAD" INGREDIENTS
- 100g / 1 cup almond flour or ground almonds (blanched or unblanched)
- 30g / ¼ cup of golden flaxmeal
- 50g / ½ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave or honey
- 50g or ½ cup walnuts chopped *
- 50g or ½ cup cashew nuts chopped *
- ¼ cup or ~ 40g sunflower seeds *
- ¼ cup or ~ 40g pumpkin seeds *
- ¼ cup or ~ 40g sesame seeds *
- ¼ cup or ~ 40g flax seeds *
"NUT BREAD" METHOD
- In a medium bowl, mix almond flour, arrowroot, flax meal, salt and baking soda.
- In a larger bowl, blend the eggs 3-5 minutes until frothy (get those muscles working!)
- Stir agave and vinegar into eggs
- Mix dry ingredients into wet, then add the chopped nuts and seeds
- Transfer mix into a well greased 3.5”x7.5” loaf tin **
- Bake at 170ºC (350ºF) for 30-35 minutes until skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from loaf tin immediately, cool, serve and enjoy!
* I tend to throw in whatever nuts or seeds I have in the house into this recipe. Pistachios are super delicious in this but obviously a little more expensive than cashews, so dependant on how decadent you're feeling – you can adapt to your taste. Hazelnuts also work really beautifully in a combo with the walnuts!
** You can alternatively line with some greaseproof paper.
To keep this bread, I store it wrapped in cloth in the fridge – mainly because there’s something very Downton Abbey about unwrapping food in cloth. If however you’re more of a practical-mind than a hopeless romanticist like me, storing it once cooled, wrapped in a paper towel in a zip-lock bag in the fridge, will keep it for up to a week! I hope you enjoy.