I have a long standing love affair with green juices and smoothies - my day is just not complete without one and quite frankly, nor should yours be! If you're not already including these healthy habits into your days, then I urge to you read on and jump on board the green-goodness revolution. You'll see below - 'it ain't no rocket science!' ;)
In a couple of weeks i'll be getting into the nitty gritty of JUICING VERSUS BLENDING, but today we're keeping things lighter. Smoothies are the perfect way to inject a jam-packed bundle of nutrient-dense, fibre-rich goodness into your day in one tasty hit! They are the perfect option for busy people with limited time or interest in a big preparation/clean-up operation. Even if you fail on all other fronts nutritionally, with a high quality green smoothie a day, you're safe in the knowledge that you've given your body SOMETHING decent to work with.
Smoothie-making generally requires very little finesse, but once you start incorporating the earthy flavours of leafy greens, getting the balance right can be a little trickier. There's a fine line between a refreshing glass of green deliciousness and a bitter green sludge that necessitates nose-holding as you force it down (yes, I have been there). Below i've broken down how I construct my green smoothies from various key components. Combine one or two things from each component and you should be on to a winner!
A FEW TIPS:
- If you're new to green smoothies I would start with the softer flavoured greens such as spinach and work up to earthy kale and romaine. Adding more fruit for extra sweetness can help initially, then reduce this as your taste buds adjust.
- Buying frozen berries and fruit pieces is great for smoothies and your wallet!
- If your fruit choice is not frozen, throw in a few ice cubes before blending so smoothie is chilled.
- Sticking to seasonal fruits will ensure maximum sweetness!
- Tougher leaves like kale will require a longer blending time until smooth.
- Good quality water and produce = good quality smoothie. Go organic when possible.
Whilst this gives you a rough idea of how to construct a green smoothie, sometimes it's nice to just follow a recipe, which is why i've included my go-to green smoothie recipe for you. Please feel free to download it, print it, share it with friends or pin it for future reference! If you want more recipe cards like this straight to your inbox then simply sign up below!
Made in under 5 minutes, this is without doubt the healthiest fast-food around! Green smoothies will balance your blood sugar, help to detoxify the gut, nourish the body and will fill you with long lasting energy. All you need is a blender, an open mind and a willingness to drink your veggies. Go on - give green a go :)