"In a funk."
"Feeling blue / flat / low / grumpy."
Just feeling "meh!"
However you term it, we all get it! No matter how much positivity you normally radiate, you can guarantee there will be times where you feel like you've just got nothing more to give.
Days where you just want to curl up on the sofa, hide from the world and continuously eat anything sweet and carb-y that will hit those pleasure centres in our brain (momentarily anyway).
I dislike those days just as much as the next person but trust me, I still have them. Normally they come after periods of over-exerting myself and not quite giving my body and soul the full care and attention it needs. Whatever the cause though, they're shitty!
Thankfully over the years I've learnt a few little tricks to help add some sunshine and smiles to the grey days. These are the little tricks that work for me. Whilst they may not be your gold-plated solution, I hope they at least inspire you to go and hunt for yours! Next time those grey clouds sweep in, put on your explorer's hat and try different things with an open mind and curious heart.
Or do you already know your best de-funkers? Let me know how you lift your mood in the comments below!
Here are mine...
1. GET OUTSIDE. A few deep breaths in the open air can be magical for me. Throw some wind to blow away the cobwebs or sunshine to warm my soul and we're onto a winner. Getting outside just seems to give me perspective. It makes me realise that this world is actually pretty cool and awesome, even when you feel like poop!
2. COUNTRY MUSIC. My ultimate guilty pleasure. Putting on some country music (the cheesier the better) gets me out of my own head and then slowly, as the controlled veneer drops and I let myself dance and sing along, the happiness creeps in!
3. GRATITUDE. Finding even the smallest thing to be grateful for shifts our focus from what we don't have or what we don't want, to all the abundance that is already in our life. Birds, sunshine, a warm home, a silly puppy... Things that work particularly well are the things I know fill me with sheer joy - videos of my niece, gorgeous food, a loving husband to kitchen dance with. It can be as simple as running water, a hot shower and the ability to breathe - you can always find something to be grateful for.
5. EXERCISE. Running in particular. Rarely do I run these days, but for some reason it is still an excellent funk-blaster for me. To be honest though, exercise of any kind helps - I just need to get moving and keep moving for at least 10 minutes and I know I'll feel better afterwards.
6. GUIDED MEDITATION. Sitting listening to my inner woes isn't appealing but with guided meditations you allow someone else's voice and perspective to become your focus. Whilst not always easy, even just a short practice can truly can shift my mood. Free apps like HeadSpace and Calm are a great place to start.
7. A GROUP YOGA CLASS. Home practice is great but there's something about the energy of practicing with a group that really lifts my spirits.
8. JOURNALLING. This is nothing more complicated that mind-dumping on a page. Writing by hand helps us access the emotional centres of our brain. If I'm in a funk but unsure why, mindlessly scribbling often helps me get clear enough that I can then see solutions, understanding or actions that will help me move forward. When I understand it, I am more empowered in overcoming it!
So there you have it my lovely lobster chasers - my tools to de-funk myself. Now please do tell, what works for you?